SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

From:
Tim Panton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 1995 10:30:00 CST
Here in the Netherlands, almost everything is subtitled, unless it is for
children under about 12 old or is a Dutch language film.

Even Disney films are shown in two versions, dubbed and subtitles, so we can

choose.

As an Englishman who still finds reading Dutch at speed hard work, I am
able to go to English language films and relax, without the distraction

of having to read a foreign language.

As my Dutch gets better I find that I notice mistranslations, or ommitted
exchanges, so that too can be a distraction.

I recently went to a screening of "The Bandit Queen" which was in Hindi,
which I don't speak and subtitled into Dutch. There was also a simultaneous
translation facility available, which I tried, but found very irritating.
Luckily the dialog was simple enough that I could follow the subtitles.

We also get German television on our cable here, so we sometimes have fun

watching Bond movies. Hearing/seeing Sean Connery dubbed in
German always raises a smile. The only exception to the universal dubbing of
programs in Germany seems to be Monty Python, where they haven't attempted
the impossible.

Tim.