SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 1995 13:48:24 CST
In article <[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] writes:

>> A variation on Tarantino's violence might be Peter Jackson's _Braindead_ and
>> _Bad Taste_..., yes, he directed _Heavenly Creatures_, just down the road
>> from here.
>>
>> So let's use the net for global discussion, ok?

I would say that TArantinian and Jacksonian violence is considerably
different. Both might be said to compose parodies to a certain genre,
although I think it doesn't do Jackson much justice to describe his
films as mere parodies (I haven't seen _Heavenly Creatures_, but
am especially referring to his extremely delightful _Meet the Feebles_).
However, every single image of Jackson's films (the ones I've seen)
carries the message "fun!", and I don't think the same could be said
with reference to Tarantino. To put it bluntly: Jackson makes fun
all over the place, and this stretches out through the violent
scenes, as well, whereas Tarantino does make a lot of fun, but not
in the violent shots.

Birgit Kellner
Institute for Indian Philosophy
University of Hiroshima