SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

From:
Gloria Monti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 1995 14:30:37 CST
> > This is an***international*** discussion list. [...] the tremendous US
> >ethnocentricism makes me sick from time to time.
>
> No doubt most of us North American Screen-L subscribers are guilty
> of 'ethnocentrism' and so, for that matter, are most of the Northern
> European Screen-L subscribers guilty of eurocentrism (at least).

        The film world does *not* revolve around the binary opposition
between European and US cinema.  Both are Eurocentric constructs, by the
way.  I do not believe that the point of contention here should be
whether or not to insert discussions of European cinema to "cure"
Screen-L of its tendency to address primarily US cinema.  We should maybe
include discussions of cinemas which are neither European nor US to
expand our horizons beyond these two options.  Maybe some Third Cinema
(in the words of Paul Willemen)?
        I highly recommend Ella Shohat and Robert Stam, *Unthinking
Eurocentrism: Multiculturalism and the Media* (1994).

        Gloria Monti