SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 2

From:
Curtis Wilcox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 00:11:35 -0900
><<Can anybody suggest why so many recent television commercials are
>being shot and shown in a letterbox format?>>

Someone suggest it was because they were doing it to also use them in movie
theatres or as a "warm-up" for HDTV. Most commercials are shot on film then
transferred to video (for the editing I believe). And just because it's
shot with that aspect ratio doesn't mean they have to keep it in that
aspect ratio. Remember that most movies transferred to video are not in a
letterboxed format.

I think its just another trick in the bag to catch your eye or evoke some mood.

Curtis

Never Get Out of the Boat | [log in to unmask]