SCREEN-L Archives

February 1993

Sender:
From:
"Michael K. Kuentz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1993 15:53:30 EST
PJ:
  I'm new to this discussion, but I would briefly like to add my two and
a half cents worth.
  Sure, you are right, the reporter's job is to report. But he or she must
be able to report accurately and efficiently. The reporter's job is based
upon credibility and reliability. People on the street will talk to a certain
news reporter from a TV station, not only because they seem him or her on TV,
but also because they know that person to be fair and objective. This is the
reason why some reporters can talk to the family of a murder victim and why
others must remain on the porch.
  Sticking the camera in a person's face can work but not always.
  I good reporter should be able to grab a story and present it accurately and
with enough definite information to enlighten the audience. When a repoter
fails to do this, then the reporter fails not only his station but
also the people to whom he is reporting to, in other words, his audience.
  The reporter should know his or her own ethics and adhere to them strictly.
A Good reporter will find it easier to do the job after providing the
groundwork for being reliable and accessible. Once the avenues are open, then
the photojouralist or reporter can do thier job and not worry about screwing
up.

michael k. [log in to unmask]

Speaking of journalists, did anyone catch the MISS USA PAGEANT last week.
Fifty-one contestants, and eleven of them, that's one fifth, claimed that
they wanted to broadcast reporters. When the MISS AMERICAN PAGENT was
held last year, a friend and I counted twenty two out of fifty contestants
wanted to be journalists. The closest position wanted in both pagents
was working with children. Are these girls who feel that a clear voice and
a beautiful face really ready for harsh news reporting? Who are they
triing to fool. I graduated with Miss Ohio, a runner up to Miss America, last
year from Ashland University, my undergrad alma matta. When we ran out to
cover a suicide attempt, she got squeemish and could not go. True, watching
one's brains fly out the back of their head is not something one loves to
watch over and over, but what it's the daughter of the police cheif, then
one must go and cover the news... no acceptions.
Where is Miss Ohio now? She's a reporter for WJW TV8, a CBS affiliate in
Cleveland Ohio, known for it's informative, but harsh news reporting. Will
she last? As a anchor with a pretty face... yes/ as a on the street
reporter... no.

Just my opinion.

"AIDS is a disease formulated by the white man's government designed to
kill his enemies, minorities, and un-desirables such as the black man."

       ---Spike Lee, from an interview in the FEB 16, 1993, issue of
                     THE VILLAGE VOICE.