CFP: Cold War Westerns
Film and history Conference: The American West(s) in Film, TV, and History
Kansas City Marrriott (Country Club Plaza), Kansas City, MO
This national conference is sponsored by The Film and History League.
Please see the Film and History website for details on registration and
special events including the keynote speaker, John Cawelti, author of The
November 7-10, 2002
We are interested in receiving proposals for papers which examine any aspect
of the Cold War's influence on Hollywood Westerns.
These suggestions are only for consideration. Please feel free to develop
your own perspectives:
- The influence of the Cold War on John Ford's horse soldier films (Fort
Apache, Rio Grande, She Wore a Wellow Ribbon)
- The changing concept of the western hero.
- The hero as a professional (The Wild Bunch, The Professionals, etc.).
- The hero as cold warrior (John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, etc.).
- The politics of Viva Zapata, etc.
Please send a brief (150-250 word) abstract (email preferred) with short
Philip J. Landon
128B Westerly Rd.
Plymouth, MA 02360
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: August 15, 2002
For past messages, visit the Screen-L Archives: