SCREEN-L Archives

March 1993

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1993 10:03:15 -0400
There is another "virtual reality" film that I like better (conceptually,
anyway) than "Total Recall".  Its "Future Kick" (androids and martial arts)
[a Roger Corman clone maybe--I can't remember].  Its framing is clearer than
"Total Recall"'s (in TR this ambiguity just seemed messy), and, also a film
within a film, the virtual reality part is experienced by the wife of an
enterpreneur/software developer.  At the end, she comes out of it and he is
still there, smiling, pleased by how effective the whole program has been
(complete with high levels of violence, etc.).  But the point of all this,
on my viewing of it, is how her consciousness has been changed, esp. re. her
husband, who in the VR part led an underworld life (on earth), had a girl
friend she didn't know about, and was murdered over some bootleg organs ring.
All of this consistent with his personality as we see it outside the VR
segment.  What does she think of him now, connected with these images which
she cannot get out of her mind.  Fictional they may be but they have the
force of reality.  I don't see this level of examination of VR as a distinct
possibility  in TR (though I have articulated it here more clearly than it
stands out in "Future Kick" perhaps).

        Jesse Kalin, Vassar