SCREEN-L Archives

February 1994

Sender:
From:
Joshua Lenius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 1994 16:08:39 CST
  AAGGH!!  Flesh and feathers can take no more!!
  OK, I'm 20 years old, I live by my own standards, I like non-mainstream
music, I have my ears and nose pierced, I have shoulder-length hair, etc...
Yet for some odd reason I HATED Reality Bites...  Go figure!  Perhaps I'm
just a little sick of filmmakers trying to generalize an entire generation
in one poorly written film...
  I think my feelings towards Reality Bites are best summed up in a review
written in my U of Madison student paper...

"REALITY BITES

Hilarious pop culture kitsch references:  "Conjunction Junction," SATURDAY
NIGHT FEVER, "Disco Inferno," Boston, PLANET OF THE APES' Dr. Zaius,
CHARLIE'S ANGELS lunchbox, "Tempted," "My Sharona," ONE DAY AT A TIME, GOOD
TIMES (and the drinking game it inspired), "Rock 'n' Roll Part 2," "I'm Just
a Bill," Mr. Roper, lava lamps, "Be a Pepper," "Bursting with fruit flavor,"
Shawn Cassidy, Barbie, "Baby I Love Your Was," DYNAMITE magazine, WHO'S THE
BOSS, "Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs," MELROSE PLACE, THE BRADY BUNCH, Anthony
Robbins, LaToya Jackson, spray-on hair, Duff, Garfield.  Other Product
Placements:  Coke, The Gap, Columbia Record and Tape Club, Ford, BMW,
Snickers, Rolling Rock, Doritos, Pringles, Cheetos, Domino's, 7-11 Big Gulp,
McDonald's Quarter Pounder, Evian, Radio Shack, Cliff Notes, Nutrasweet,
Hawaiian Punch, Soul Asylum, The Lemonheads, Juliana Hatfield Three,
Continental Airlines, Violent Femmes, U2, Audi 5000.  Remaining content:
lackluster romantic plot, pretentious soliloquies written by a studio
marketing department, the same tired observations on twentynothing
generation X slackers."

  Awaiting flack from pissed grungers,
  Josh from Madison, WI