SCREEN-L Archives

October 1995, Week 3

Sender:
From:
"Richard J. Leskosky" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 1995 15:45:49 -0500
>Perhaps you can help me with some research I'm doing.
>
>I am looking at (pseudo/quasi/semi) anthology films that deal with women
>telling their stories, i.e. THE JOY LUCK CLUB and HOW TO MAKE AN AMERICAN
>QUILT.  There is also the Canadian film THE COMPANY OF STRANGERS (US
>title: STRANGERS IN GOOD COMPANY, or something like that).  Can anyone
>think of any other titles?  I am especially looking for, as a point of
>comparison, any films about men telling stories (hopefully with some sort
>of visual recreation)?
>
>Mikel Koven
>Department of Folklore
>Memorial University of Newfoundland
==========================
How about THE WOMEN (George Cukor, 1939)?  THE OPPOSITE SEX (David Miller,
1956) is a musical remake.

Hammer and Amicus used to release anthology horror films, often with some
connecting narrator or group ostensibly telling the stories we see.  For
that matter, DEAD OF NIGHT (Cavalcanti et al., 1945).  GRIM PRAIRIE TALES
(Wayne Coe, 1990) has James Earl Jones and Brad Dourif trading scary
stories in the old west.

How about MY DINNER WITH ANDRE (Louis Malle, 1981)?  Lots of stories, but
virtually all are told by Andre Gregory.

Two male characters relate the stories told by others in RASHOMON
(Kurosawa, 1950) and in its American remake, THE OUTRAGE (Martin Ritt,
1964).

--Richard J. Leskosky

Richard J. Leskosky                     office phone: (217) 244-2704
Assistant Director                      FAX: (217) 244-2223
Unit for Cinema Studies                 University of Illinois