SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

Sender:
From:
"Robinson, Marlyn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 1994 09:37:00 CST
I'm interested in what has been called "the first feature made by a black
production company" (American Film Institute Catalog, 1911-1920), THE
COLORED MAN WINNING HIS SUIT, made in 1916 by the Frederick Douglass Film
Co.  The PBS program, "Midnight Rambler" did not mention this film or the
company, and I'm pretty sure they gave "first feature" rank to an Oscar
Micheaux work.   Can anyone verify that the American Film Institute catalog
is correct, or if any prints exist of this film?  As nearly as I can tell,
this is also the first film with a black lawyer - does anyone know of any
earlier ones?  Thanks in advance.

Marlyn Robinson
University of Texas School of Law