SCREEN-L Archives

February 1997, Week 1

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 1997 09:17:47 -0600
Tony Williams wrote:

> Let us hope that the forthcoming laserdisc SUNRISE will be much better than
>copies generally available. When I met William K. Everson in St. Louis some
>years ago he ran a duped 16mm print of the film and explained that it was,
>unfortunately, the only type of copy available since original mint versions
>were not around. But, if they can find a good print of FAUST, then perhaps...

I don't know that anyone here on Screen-L has noted the passing of William
K. Everson last year.  There's a touching memorial piece by Kevin Browlow
in the current (Jan-Feb '97) FILM COMMENT.

I suspect that many of us have Everson stories.  He came to Brown
University a few times while I was an undergraduate there.  His visits were
always occasions of terrific movie marathons--including fabulously rare
films.  His personal collection was legendary and his knowledge of film
history encyclopedic.

The film community is impoverished by his passing.

----
Jeremy Butler
ScreenSite http://www.sa.ua.edu/ScreenSite
Telecommunication & Film/University of Alabama/Tuscaloosa