SCREEN-L Archives

June 1995, Week 2

From:
Rick Ferncase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 1995 11:20:30 -0700
>Last night I watched Whit Stillman's newest film _Barcelona_ in which two
>American males discussed life and romance while living in Spain during the
>last decade of the Cold War.  Much was made over the differences between
>the natives and their American counterparts.  Yet... I am
>perplexed as to why Stillman chose an American to represent the qualities
>of Barcelona women that are a source of endless meditiation.

Stillman has said that he chose the actresses (neither of whom, I believe,
are Spanish) because he wanted women who spoke English as a first language.
 The idea was that he didn't want any of his characteristically talky
dialogue to be at all unintelligible.

-r. k. ferncase
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Chapman University Film & Television Home Page:
http://nexus.chapman.edu:80/comm/ftv/index.html