SCREEN-L Archives

June 1995, Week 2

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 1995 10:02:51 -0600
Gloria Monti asks:
" I maintain my confusion.  Then the question becomes: what's the
difference between external diegetic sound and offscreen diegetic sound?
'

None, really.  External diegetic sound is produced in the exterior "world" of
the diegesis.  External diegetic sound can be *either* onscreen (i.e., we
see the source of the sound) or offscreen (we know the source is there but
don't see it).  *Internal* diegetic sound is rather ambiguous in this regard,
since we might see a character and "hear" his or her thoughts (as in Olivier's
Hamlet) and that would clearly be onscreen (but internal) diegetic sound.
On the other hand, if we hear a character's thoughts and do *not* see him or
her, the source of that sound (the mind of the character) might be "present"
but offscreen, might be displaced (nonsimultaneous), or might exist in some
other function.  See Bordwell and Thompson's commentary on PROVIDENCE in FILM
ART for more.

Gloria also notes:
" Zeffirelli.  Now we're even typowise. :-)   "

I stand corrected.  Misspelling his name is sort of a hobby.  :-)

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)