SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

From:
Murray Pomerance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 1995 14:28:02 CST
THIS Screen-L member thinks Ulf is angry, for some reason, and O Mahony
is echoing.  But seriously, asking people not to talk about things is
silly in the end.  Just start talking about what you want to talk about.
I can understand why Europeans might not be interested in NBC; but as a
student of the screen, I can NOT understand why they, or anyone, would
fail to be interested in Lucille Ball.  That she and Tati have so much in
common--and that she was a pioneering woman in screen comedy--seem reason
enough.

I might also understand if the problem is that so many American products
are hard to find in Europe.  But Europeans might like to know there are
many films produced there we have been going crazy for years to find over
here, and to no avail.  There's been some interesting bi-play recently
about Michael Powell, to name just one filmmaker.  Some of Truffaut's
work is unavailable--and what we can get has come out recently.  But one
doesn't wish to keep conversation off these rare topics, so one just
languishes.

So--I'm trying to be sympathetic, but also to say I'm a little astonished
"I Love Lucy" is of no interest.  The show, I mean.  The discussion group
is another matter altogther, about which I know nada.