SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
"Bryson, Denise" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 1994 16:15:40 CDT
OOPS|  See what happens when you leap into a conversation with other
voices in your head?  Mea Culpa, Tom.  Didn't mean to imply the person
I was taking issue with was you:  actually, it was the screaming horde
of academic feminists (I use this term to differentiate them from the
mainstream feminists) who loved the fact that Thelma and Louise blew
the truck up, called their suicide at the end a "symbol of empowerment,"
and basically refused to see that a lot of T/L's actions were stupid/
despicable REGARDLESS of their gender.

This kind of lionizing of violence SIMPLY BECAUSE IT COMES FROM SOMEONE
OTHER THAN MEN makes me a little bit crazy.  I wasn't reacting to your
post, Tom, as much as to the widespread "WOO-WOO, YEEHA, YOU GO, GIRLS|"
reaction it elicited from the (stupid?  misguided?  differently-thinking
?) public.

I also did give a serious response about strong women, concentrating on
Judy Davis, if I remember correctly.

Didn't mean to take out my frustrations on anyone on this list.  Just
found myself at the 'straw that broke....' point about whether
Thelma/Louise are two cool chicks fighting the patriarchy or two
outlaws who do one ill-thought-out thing after another and commit
senseless suicide at the end.  My academic feminist friends tell me
I can't be a REAL feminist without seeing the power and the beauty of
this film; I am now and always have been a feminist.  That's where
all this came from.  Not you, certainly.

*extends hand timidly in apology*