SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
"Bryson, Denise" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 1994 09:29:13 CDT
>Sandy D. says that we (Americans) want our women in films to act like
>ladies.  More than that, I think we want out women (speaking from the male
>perspective) to be weak so that men can come to their rescue.  As much as I
>can recall at the moment, most films allow women to be tough--they can hold
>their own in an argument, don't take crap, are resourceful--and smart, but
>just physical enough to whack the bad guy with a vase or frying pan to save
>the good guy in a critical moment.  Or to beat up another woman.

While this seems to be true in the main, one of my favorite leading
ladies (one who obviously wasn't as good last year as a 12-year-old
in love with the telephone company), Judy Davis, seems consistently
to end up in roles with a certain amount of toughness--both physical
and emotional/mental.  _Impromptu_ is probably the top of the list,
with Hugh Grant filling the stereotypical "feminine" weak-as-a-kitten
role, and Davis aptly portraying a strong woman ahead of her time.
Alas, the film didn't receive the kind of popularity one might hope
to see, but then again, most of America isn't quite ready for that,
methinks.  A pity.

Denise Bryson, still wondering why Anna's playing a clairvoyant
witch child in the middle of the NBA playoffs.