SCREEN-L Archives

January 1994

From:
"John E. Magee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 1994 12:08:21 CST
In Message Tue, 18 Jan 1994 12:21:25 EST,
  Mark Bunster <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>* I don't know if it is real, or just a movie technique, but it seems that
>* southern society is not accepting of anyone but WASPS.  I'm not from the
>* south so I don't know much about it, but it is  displayed in movies, tv, and
>* literature, now and in the past, as a very close minded almost offensively
>* selective culture that judges not on who you are, but where you come from.
>* It's a failing I see in movies much of the time.  It reminds me of what
>* people assumed of me coming to school in the midwest being a "east coast
>* jew" as we are called out here
>*
>
>Many people of the south do indeed have a knee jerk reaction to folks who
>plan to live in the South coming from somehere else (just visit, and you won't
>get treated better anywhere). Many others lack that particular pole up their
>butt though. It's also more aligned to your family background rather than
>your explicit race or ethnicity--ie, it's a very classist society. Arthur
>Ashe was a Richmond deity despite his color, for example, but only because
>A) he was loaded,
>B) he did and did for the community
>C) his family has lived in Richmond for a WHILE.
>--and even then, he was still lacking in true First Family of Virginia
>pedigree, I bet. Remember, Virginia is home to some of the oldest families in
>the country.
>
>You shouldn't generalize to everyone of course, but I've seen a lot of
>southern families who walked the walk every bit as much as any "fictional"
>Tennessee Williams family.

I would like to apologize for starting this line of conversation.  I started
it as a quick reaction, with out thinking it all the way through.  I
relalize now that I needed to think more.  However comparing Schindlers
List, a story about a past people throughout the world are trying to deny
ever happened, and multiple movies on history that peple accept, is a
questionable idea.  While I agree that remembering the past is a wonderful
idea, more fact based information should be documented so that people
remember.