SCREEN-L Archives

January 1994

From:
Mark Bunster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 1994 12:21:25 EST
* I don't know if it is real, or just a movie technique, but it seems that
* southern society is not accepting of anyone but WASPS.  I'm not from the
* south so I don't know much about it, but it is  displayed in movies, tv, and
* literature, now and in the past, as a very close minded almost offensively
* selective culture that judges not on who you are, but where you come from.
* It's a failing I see in movies much of the time.  It reminds me of what
* people assumed of me coming to school in the midwest being a "east coast
* jew" as we are called out here
*

Many people of the south do indeed have a knee jerk reaction to folks who
plan to live in the South coming from somehere else (just visit, and you won't
get treated better anywhere). Many others lack that particular pole up their
butt though. It's also more aligned to your family background rather than
your explicit race or ethnicity--ie, it's a very classist society. Arthur
Ashe was a Richmond deity despite his color, for example, but only because
A) he was loaded,
B) he did and did for the community
C) his family has lived in Richmond for a WHILE.
--and even then, he was still lacking in true First Family of Virginia
pedigree, I bet. Remember, Virginia is home to some of the oldest families in
the country.

You shouldn't generalize to everyone of course, but I've seen a lot of
southern families who walked the walk every bit as much as any "fictional"
Tennessee Williams family.

--
Mark Bunster                      |Exchange conversation if you dare--
Survey Research Lab--VCU          |Share an empty thought or a laugh.