SCREEN-L Archives

January 1994

From:
Bob Kosovsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 1994 00:02:13 EST
It's interesting that this topic of contemporary Jewish films has come up.
I am often surprised at the list of films, since to my mind, many deal
with Jews in a peripheral way.  I suppose that's one of the themes - that
for some, a Jewish film need not identify itself anymore than having
Jewish characters (i.e. characters who are born Jews, rather than identify
by action or thought).  It's very easy to find films in which Jews
play a part;  it's very difficult to find films where the Jewish cultural
context is taken as a given, rather than portrayed as something exotic.
So I offer the following as examples of films produced from the viewpoint
of contemporary Jewish culture:

Two films also come to my mind:  CROSSING DELANCY and HESTER STREET.
Also one documentary:  IMAGE BEFORE MY EYES.

Though IMAGE BEFORE MY EYES is about pre-War Poland, it's treatment, and
the issues raised are from a contemporary viewpoint.

Bob Kosovsky
Student, PhD Program in Music                   Librarian
Graduate Center                                 Music Division
City University of New York                     The New York Public Library
[log in to unmask]                        [log in to unmask]
-------My opinions do not necessarily represent those of my institutions-------