SCREEN-L Archives

January 1994

From:
Bob Kosovsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 1994 23:50:36 EST
The papers of Orson Welles are housed in the Lilly Library of Indiana
University, Bloomington, IN 47405-3301.  Tel:  (812) 855-2452.

With the exception of WAR OF THE WORLDS researchers will have difficulty
with Welles's scripts (aside from the problem of whether the Lilly library
will make copies).  This is because Welles churned out most of his stuff
within a very short period of time, and was constantly revising up until
airtime.  I have even heard that on occasion, east coast and west coast
versions of the same show were different (the production would be repeated
to compensate for the time zone difference).  The scripts I have studied
have many pages torn, stapled, taped, and contain numerous emendations
in pencil.

It's a treasure trove for the scholar - but a little tough if all you
want to do is try to perform the stuff.

I would enjoy dicussing radio and radio drama.  It's part of my
dissertation-in-progress, tentatively titled "The Radio Music of Bernard
Herrmann."

I wonder if our listowner, who has often showed a great deal of that
famed Southern hospitality when it concerns topics of digression,
would tolerate such a discussion.  If not, I would gladly continue
offline.

Bob Kosovsky
Student, PhD Program in Music                   Librarian
Graduate Center                                 Music Division
City University of New York                     The New York Public Library
[log in to unmask]                        [log in to unmask]
-------My opinions do not necessarily represent those of my institutions-------