SCREEN-L Archives

December 2006, Week 4

From:
Prof Steven P Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2006 00:56:11 -0600
Dear colleagues & Mr Fish,

For a few decades there was a periodical entitled "Fame," which ranked
US films according to their box office returns.  One might question
whether Fame's results were in any sense scientific, but perhaps that
data was no worse than that available from other publications of the
time.

I think "Fame" was still in existence in the 1950s, and I'm sure it was
being published as far back as the 1930s. For anything precise, one
would need to find issues of "Fame" itself...
_ ___ __ __

Footnote (apologies if I mentioned this before).  After my 2 articles
ranking US directors statistically (for "artistic" and "popular" success
in the sound era), were published in "Films in Review" (1960 & 1961),
I offered to then editor Henry Hart a possible third installment, which
Mr Hart turned down. That 3d installment would have statistically ranked
US directors for "box office" success, with my stats to be derived from
the annual box office numbers that had been published in "Fame."  (My
first 2 installments were derived from "Nat. Board of Review/Films in
Review" and from "Film Daily Yearbook," respectively.)

Good hunting,
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.