SCREEN-L Archives

March 2004, Week 4

From:
"Peter C. Rollins" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 11:29:26 EST
Dear Scholars of Film and Society,

    Dr. Shaheen's C-SPAN 2 presentation on "The Reel Bad Arab" is coming to a
close, this morning and is a wonderful, passionate presentation by an Arab
American who has been a professor and a TV reporter.

    His presentation comes all the way up to HIDALGO, a film which he finds
particularly obnoxious.

    The show may be rerun later, so check C-SPAN.ORG and check on Schedule for
C-SPAN 2. "Booknotes" is the series and the book in question is Shaheen's
REEL BAD ARABS: HOW HOLLYWOOD VILIFIES A PEOPLE. Shaheen also has an essay on
this topic in the COLUMBIA COMPANION TO AMERICAN HISTORY ON FILM. Like all
other programs, this broadcast can be purchased from the C-SPAN archive at Purdue
U. The next broadcast will be at 1:30 AM, EST on Sunday morning; we are
talking about C-SPAN 2.

    Those of us in film studies need to be acquainted with the way in which
Arabs have been stereotyped by Hollywood and we should share these insights
with our students.
Shaheen calls Arab Americans "The Invisible Minority"; alas, the only image
Americans find are in their movies.

Peter Rollins

http://www.ScreenSite.org