SCREEN-L Archives

August 2002, Week 5

Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:05:01 +0300
This verges on ridiculous. Are we to conclude that ALL art that was dear to
Hitler should be condemned as Nazi or proto-Nazi? Classic art? Renaissance?
Bauhaus? (although I'm not sure how much Hitler was in love with Bauhaus)

Another more serious question opened up in this thread is the relation
between art and morality, and there is hardly any definitive answer. Should
we admire RL films in spite of our knowledge of the Nazi atrocities? Should
we admire pyramides although we know that thousands of slaves died building
them? Should we admire churches although we know they were built on the
blood and gold of the indiginous peoples of the New World?

Just asking....

Boris Vidovic
Finnish Film Archive
PL 177