SCREEN-L Archives

October 2000, Week 1

Sender:
From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 10:07:48 -0500
Jane Mills wonders:

> I read somewhere about a boat named "Circe" that was somehow connected to
> Rita Hayworth via either Gilda or Lady from Shanghai (and perhaps Errol
> Flynn was involved in some way). Can anybody help me with the information
> and the source?

"Circe" is the name of the boat in THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI.  The boat
used in the film was actually named the "Zaca" and belonged to Errol
Flynn.  This is mentioned in several Welles bios and sources, including
the "trivia" note on the film in the IMDB.  Also see David Thomson's
ROSEBUD (but beware, the index is mispaged!).

Don Larsson

Donald F. Larsson
English Department, AH 230
Minnesota State University