SCREEN-L Archives

October 2000, Week 1

Sender:
From:
Ken Chen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 11:52:37 -0700
Hello,

I've recently begun studying Chinese films, and I was wondering if I could
get some advice.

First, I'm pretty impressed by the cinematography (whose lushness, I
suspect, has something to do with the theater/opera tradition), particularly
of Chen Kaige, Zhang Yimou, and some of the HK action flicks, like Bride
with the White Hair. Are there any movies you'd recommend particularly for
the visuals?

Secondly, I'm very impressed with the work of Taiwanese director Hou Hsiao
Hsien, but, although many of his more recent films are touring around, they
have not been released on video. I've seen A TIME TO LIVE AND A TIME TO DIE
and DUST IN THE WIND (and FLOWERS OF SHANGHAI and GOODBYE SOUTH GOODBYE in
the theater). Are there other ones that should be out?

Also, people have recommended the work of Edward Yang (also Taiwanese), but
I don't think anything he has is on video. Any recommendations on where/how
to find his work?

Finally, BRIDE WITH THE WHITE HAIR was particularly striking in its visuals.
Are there other movies that seem equally filled with visual fireworks? Or by
the same director?

Thanks
Ken

Ken Chen                                 [log in to unmask]
www.readsatellite.com              ICQ: 3417088
2430 Dwight Way 101              Berkeley, CA 94704-2352
(510) 647-3659                         cell: 510.912.5608
PAGER: 510.464.5742             FAX: (801) 749-6988
AOL: Chens96

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite