SCREEN-L Archives

March 2002, Week 2

Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 08:59:17 -0500
From:
Gregory Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Comments:
Sorry about the plug for my own work, in addition to the other good sources on comics already named:

Look at my "Shaping _The Maxx_:  Adapting the Comic Book Frame to Television" in _Animation Journal_ 8:1 (Fall 1999) 32-53. It's a look at a very distinctive comic adaptation that MTV did of The Maxx.  The producers claimed that it was the closest animated adaptation of a comic ever done, and I think they're right. They did an innovative job adapting the variable shaped frame of comics to the (normally) stable 4:3 frame of television, so that provided me with a good forum to talk about the differences between the formal properties of the two media.

Greg Smith
Georgia State University

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/11/02 14:44 PM >>>
Hello'

I am looking for any academic papers on the topic of the comic book
aesthetic.  I am interested on seeing how the comic book medium has
influenced the content and form of film.  If you know of any movies that
were originally comic books (besides the superhero movies) I would really
appreciate it.