SCREEN-L Archives

February 1996, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Bruce Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 1996 22:36:08 +0000

> I was wondering if anyone knew any good sources of information on the
> marriage of Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford, and the subsequent
> public reaction. Also, any of the other Silent era  scandals (Fatty
> Arbuckle, etc.) I'd be interested in also. Thank you in advance.

There are several books on Pickford/Fairbanks.  The book "The Fairbanks
Album" has a photo of the wedding party (which includes Chaplin).
The subsequent public reaction is best observed by digging through the
microfilm of as many newspapers as possible.

Regarding Fatty Arbuckle, there have been four books written about him.
I suppose "Frame Up!" by Andy Edmonds is a good place to start if you
are only interested in the scandal which ruined his career.

If you want to read Arbuckle's own version of the tragedy, see:
    gopher://gopher.etext.org:70/00/Zines/Taylorology/Taylor28.txt

The "Taylorology" newsletter also has material on other silent-era scandals,
including Olive Thomas, Wallace Reid, and (of course) the murder of
William Desmond Taylor.

Bruce Long  [log in to unmask]