SCREEN-L Archives

August 2020, Week 1

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 2020 15:26:58 +0000
Subject:
From:
Eric Hoyt <[log in to unmask]>
Dear fellow film and media educators,

To help our community prepare for a mostly or entirely online semester, the Media History Digital Library (MHDL) is creating a new Teaching section on its website, https://mediahistoryproject.org. The page will include new documentation on how students can use the MHDL website along with its search engine, Lantern (https://lantern.mediahist.org), and data analytics platform, Arclight (http://search.projectarclight.org/). But we would also like to include sample assignments that use the MHDL, Lantern, and/or Arclight. And that’s where we need your help!

If you have used the MHDL within a course assignment, and if you would be willing to publicly share that assignment, please email it as a Word document or PDF to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> by August 10.

It would also be very helpful if you could provide a few pieces of information / metadata about any assignment you send to us:

- Name(s) and affiliation(s) of the instructor(s) who developed the assignment

- Course title and level the assignment was used in.

- Description of the assignment in 1-2 sentences

- Learning goal(s) of the assignment in 1-2 sentences

Our hope is to integrate the assignments into the MHDL website very quickly and launch the new Teaching page by August 17.

I’ve heard anecdotally over the past several years about creative ways that many of you have used the MHDL in your teaching. Hope to be able to read your assignments and share them widely!

Best,
Eric

Eric Hoyt
Associate Professor of Film, Media and Cultural Studies
Department of Communication Arts
University of Wisconsin-Madison

Director, Media History Digital Library
http://mediahistoryproject.org