SCREEN-L Archives

July 2008, Week 2

From:
"Peter C. Rollins" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2008 08:12:48 EDT
Film & History scholars will take an interest in our new  book,
WHY WE FOUGHT: AMERICA'S WARS IN FILM AND HISTORY
(UP of Kentucky,  2008), released on 3 July, 2008.  Eds.
Peter C. Rollins and John E.  O'Connor.

We start with the revolution and move right along to the  war
in Iraq where soldiers are making their own films and sending
them  home to family and friends.

The introduction suggests how to research and  write about a
motion picture and offers five strictures about watching  war
films:

1. War films must be studied in their historical  context.

2. War films are propaganda vehicles.

3. Censorship and  sponsorship influence war films.

4. War films constitute a genre of their  own.

5. War films should be studied with caution.

There are 23  chapters, a filmography and a bibliography plus
a useful index.  It was  published in paper and hardbound
simultaneously with the hope of adoptions  for the Fall.
Every contribution shines.

During the Vietnam era, one  of the editors was a Marine
platoon commander and the other a peace  activist--hopefully
influencing the book to be balanced in its  presentation.

Peter Rollins