SCREEN-L Archives

July 2008, Week 2

From:
Peter Longworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 08:23:47 +1000
Hello Mike

This is an interesting issue you raise. The Australian Broadcasting
Corporation (ABC) which is the equivalent of your BBC here does some
atrocious things to programming. They showed the excellently produced
'Bleak House' as 50 minute programming, when they were actually
designed to run 30 minutes. I find the 30 minute presentation time
favourable to the 50 minute running time - basically two episodes
joined together.

Worst still is with the way the ABC presents their documentaries. Ten
or so years ago they showed documentaries on the architect Franck
Llyod Wright, my parents had seen the original documentary while
holidaying in America in the mid 1990s and were appalled to notice
the ABC were showing the documentary minus 60 minutes of its running time.
Other documentaries on famous film composer Bernard Herrmann and
Bette Davis "The Stardust" documentaries were savagely cut. I have
the Bette Davis documentary on a DVD boxset and notice how severely
the cutting of this documentary was.

The television stations (PBS & BBC) should be forced to show the full
documentary - cut documentaries don't work because:

1) They're inferior
2) It's pretty obvious they've been cut to fit programming schedules
3) It's not how the original director made his work.
4) If a cinema cut a movie to fit running times they'd be in breach
of copyright
5) Television stations need to show the full product

My advice is to write to the major newspaper in your city, write to
the television station etc. Sadly, I'm sorry to say the ABC is very
biased in how they handle complaints. They're happy to air their
left-wing propaganda on media shows like Media Watch, but when the
heat is on them they're selectively ignore airing reports criticising
the running of their TV shows. They also seem reluctant to run
corrections for mistakes they've made on their shows, Media Watch especially

Peter