SCREEN-L Archives

July 1992

Sender:
From:
Kerr Avon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 1992 17:11:32 BST
Okay, here are the details of various books which various people
asked for (mainly Bert, but a few others asked).  I can't remember
if they were mentioned on cinema-l or screen-l, so I'm cross
posting.  Hope some of you find them useful.

The list is mainly of Python-realated books, but #4 on the list is
the book of the ITV series _Television_.

1. _Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Book)_

	ISBN: 0413385205 (UK)/0416003419 (USA)/ 0458929700 (Canada)
	Published by Eyre Methuen Ltd (UK)
		     Methuen, Inc. (USA)
		     Methuen Publications (Canada)
	Date of publication (of my copy): 1981 (First published 1977)
	Price: #5.50 (paperback)

	[This is the best `book of the film' I have _ever_ seen.  You
	 get the first draft of the script, which bears little relation to
	 the final draft (also included).  The final draft has scenes and
	 lines that were cut, and the original versions of lines which were
	 changed onced shooting started.  You get a plethora of photos
	 and advertising prints.  You get a letter which details the cuts
	 that the censors wanted ("lose the `make castanets from your
	 testicles'), and the suggested compromises.  Also included
	 are things like shooting schedules and other trivia stuff.  Oh,
	 and a pull out statement from the accountants detailing the budget
	 and final cost of the film (about #225,000).  Well worth finding a
	 copy. -- Liam]

2. _Life of Python_ by George Perry

	ISBN: 0-907516-22-X
	Published by Pavilion Books Ltd.