SCREEN-L Archives

February 1996, Week 4

Sender:
From:
Charley Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 11:05:31 -0500
Anyone catch the Susan Sontag article in last Sunday's New York Times
Magazine? Her idea is that "true" cinephilia is dead. Full of references to
the good old days when students "couldn't live without Rosselini, Goddard,
etc."  Very Europhilic.

Struck me that there is some truth to what she's saying, that there is a
decadence besetting the film business [big budgets crowding out
inventiveness, and "art", etc.]  Mostly, though, the peice seemed like it was
written by someone who just doesn't like going to the movies anymore. And
what are we doing here anyway, eating chopped liver?