SCREEN-L Archives

February 2011, Week 1

Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2011 20:35:02 -0500
I missed this thread; those are wonderful observations, Norman. I saw it as a study of power and aristocracy, and how it is grounded in speaking, which of course prevents one from having normal human relationships with other humans. How being aristocratic and public stifles the things one wants to say. The shouted obscenities. The crucial matter of misspeaking: e.g., the impropriety of Mrs. Wallace in greeting the Duchess of York.  "Bertie's" attempts to reason with his brother in the wine cellar, only to be mocked by him, his stammered words consciously mistaken for "treasonous" thoughts, and his inability to defend himself. Logue's gaff in suggesting that he prepare himself for the throne. The role of technology in this film was impressive: the phonograph that played the music that deafened the duke and recorded the smooth speech he couldn't hear. The radios that people huddled around.  The close ups on that dreadful microphone and the blinking red light, a mouth that must receive your words and throw them.  The dreadful machinery of broadcasting, when one doesn't want a public life, one doesn't want to be "broadly cast."  The dreadful silence of a suffering crowd, who can't tell the Duke of York to get on with it. Hitler's harsh, unintelligible German that's intelligible: "He seems to be saying it rather well."  All Bertie's wonderful witticisms. "If you wait for me to commence a conversation you will have to wait a long wait."   Forcing the young Duke of York to write unnaturally with his right hand. That lovely moment when Logue sits down irreverently in the ancestral throne and notes that people have carved words in it, usefully deflating its power to intimidate.  The pun on "speech" in the title.

Note: stammering is different from stuttering.  A st-st-stutter is the inability to get past the first sound in a word or phrase.  A stammer is the inability to start a phrase at all.

Sarah