SCREEN-L Archives

September 2005, Week 3


Options: Use Proportional Font
Show HTML Part by Default
Condense Mail Headers

Message: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Author: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Film and TV Studies Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
"Holberg, Amy" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:16:42 -0400
text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
Film and TV Studies Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
text/plain (52 lines)
Berkeley has one. A graduate student can (these days) receive a PhD in Film and Visual Culture (I think it's now called) jointly administered with the Rhetoric Dept., or, if receiving a PhD in other depts., can receive a certificate. This program started about 10 years ago.

-----Original Message-----
From: Film and TV Studies Discussion List on behalf of Barbara Baker
Sent: Mon 9/19/2005 2:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCREEN-L] Grad Certificate
I don't know of any program currently with such a certificate, but I know I would have loved one when completing my degree at USC back in the 1980s.  I was in the Communication Department, but took courses in the Film School as a cognate area, and completed a dissertation that was as much a critical film study as a critical rhetorical study.  Luckily, I've been able to finally move into teaching some film courses where I teach, but it may have been easier to get employment coming out from grad school with such a certificate.  I don't know if those who hire would find such a certificate also useful, but I have a feeling it would appeal to some universities (e.g. my own).  


Barbara L. Baker, Ph.D.
Department of Communication
Central Missouri State University
Warrensburg, MO. 65493

>>> [log in to unmask] 9/19/2005 12:38 PM >>>
Dear subscribers,

I am in the process of investigating the viability of offering a graduate 
certificate in film to students earning PhDs in other (non-film) 
departments. This would be offered to students who might wish to earn a 
credential in film because they will teach film (e.g. students in American 
Studies who might include film in a cultural studies course, or foreign 
language students who might offer a course in a national cinema) and/or who 
might include some film in their dissertation but are not housed in a film 
program.  I have seen models for this sort of thing with gender studies but 
am not aware of programs in film.  If any of you know of such programs, can 
you please contact me?  If you have opinions about their viability or 
usefulness, I'd love to hear from you.You can contact me directly at 
[log in to unmask]  If subscribers are interested in this issue, I can 
offer a list and summary of comments.

Thanks for your help,
Pam Wojcik

For past messages, visit the Screen-L Archives: 

For past messages, visit the Screen-L Archives:

For past messages, visit the Screen-L Archives: