SCREEN-L Archives

December 2022, Week 2

From:
Cynthia Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2022 16:00:43 -0500
** The editors are seeking proposals for one or two additional chapters
focused specifically on fictional or dramatized exploration in Asia to
round out the volume. **

CFP:  Adventure! Danger! Romance!: Essays on Explorers and Exploration on
the Big Screen

Tales of explorers and adventurers often blur the line between science and
fiction, with chronicles of the exotic and the unknown becoming the stuff
of legends and the building blocks of history. Explorer’s tales spin heroic
stories of adventures that cross borders, shatter boundaries, develop new
knowledge, and, in so doing, depict the causes and consequences of seeking
dominion over people and places.

Films of explorers and exploration have taken many forms, from early
adventure-ethnographies to historical illuminations and recreations, to
CGI-infused fictional spectacle. But whether drama, action, comedy, or
parody, these tales of exotic adventure, danger, and romance help craft our
identities, both personal and national, through their complex cultural
messages about power and morality, values and fears, heroes and villains.
As we conduct our own explorations of these narratives, we learn not only
about our fictional adventurers but also about ourselves and our
constructions of gender, history, heroism, physical and intellectual
challenge, borders and boundaries, and so much more.

The volume editors welcome proposals for previously unpublished essays that
map out new territory in fiction films on explorers, adventurers, and
exploration. Possibilities include, but are not limited to:

* Mockumentaries and hybrids (such as Forbidden Quest, First on the Moon)

* Adventure/exploration fiction (such as Indiana Jones, Lara Croft, King
Kong)

* Classical Antiquity (such as Jason and the Argonauts, The Odyssey)

* Science Fiction (such as Astronaut Farmer, Martian, Solaris, Ad Astra)

* Comedies (such as Abbott and Costello in Africa Screams, Sahara, The Road
to El Dorado)
* Exploitation films (such as Africa Uncensored, Cannibal Holocaust)
* Historical Dramas (such as The New World, Queen of the Desert)

Please submit your 500-word abstracts and brief bios to both editors by
November 15, 2022.

Cynthia J. Miller

Emerson College

Sue Matheson