SCREEN-L Archives

March 2024, Week 3

From:
Effie Sapuridis ­ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2024 10:56:06 -0400
HOT OFF THE PRESSES!

TWC's issue 42 on “Fandoms and Platforms
<https://journal.transformativeworks.org/index.php/twc/issue/view/81>” has
been released! This issue focuses on how the online spaces fans use
influence and shape fan activity.

The essays in this issue focus on “The platform as the foundation of
digital media”, as well as “fan activity of various kinds [which is] built
upon and through specific spaces, technologies, and cultural norms”.  Each
issue includes articles representing theory, fannish meta, and book
reviews. This issue groups its articles into three broad categories:
architecture, community, and power. Some examples include:

   - "It's not your tumblr": Commentary-style tagging practices in fandom
   communities
   <https://journal.transformativeworks.org/index.php/twc/article/view/2475>
   - Discord as a fandom platform: Locating a new playground
   <https://journal.transformativeworks.org/index.php/twc/article/view/2473>
   - The fading of the elves: Techno-volunteerism and the disappearance of
   Tolkien fan fiction archives
   <https://journal.transformativeworks.org/index.php/twc/article/view/2467>
   - "One day longer, one day stronger": Online platforms, fan support and
   the 2023 WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes
   <https://journal.transformativeworks.org/index.php/twc/article/view/2609>

The next issue of TWC, No. 43, is a general issue. It will appear on
September 15, 2024. Following that, our special issue on "Centering
blackness in Fan Studies" will be released.

TWC's upcoming deadlines include:

Sports Fandom
<https://journal.transformativeworks.org/index.php/twc/announcement/view/133>,
still accepting symposium pieces;

Fans of Color Research Prize,
<https://journal.transformativeworks.org/index.php/twc/Prize> applications
due May 1;

We accept submissions for our general issues on a rolling basis. The
general issues always appear on September 15.

Best,
Effie Sapuridis
Outreach and Communications Editor
*Transformative Works and Cultures *

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://screenlex.org