SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 4

From:
Meredith McMinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 14:47:47 CST
If you are, indeed, talking about credits that anticipate in some way the
action or themes of a film, there are scads of them.  The significance of
opening credits is something I emphasize in my Intro to film analysis
class.  A few, in particular, come to mind:

Virtually all Hitchcock films (at least from his Hollywood days), e.g. the
intersecting arrows that mesh into a skyscraper in the credits of North
by Northwest.

The theatrical/role-playing theme of Adam's Rib is foreshadowed in the
credits and carried through in the title cards within the film depicting
a stage prosceneum.

The opening credits of The Graduate have significant images and sound
track under the titles themselves, while the placement of the titles and
their entrance and exit relate to the images.

Credit sequences of most films done in the three-color technicolor
process introduce the color scheme and some major theme/image.

Dr. Strangelove, of course, has the famous "copulating planes" under the
titles.

Then there are the Pink Panther titles with their animated anticipation
of the action.

Etc, etc.

Meredith McMinn