SCREEN-L Archives

April 1998, Week 1

From:
"Meryem C. Ersoz" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Meryem C. Ersoz
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 09:16:17 -0700
On Tue, 31 Mar 1998 13:01:30 -0500 Scott Hutchins <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Aren't most films of _Turn of the Screw_ inappropriate for a young
> audience?

Well, I seem to recall reading "A Rose for Emily" in eighth grade and did
not find ambiguously references to necrophilia too disturbing at that
age, so perhaps shaded references to incest are not necessarily
inappropriate to this age group either. I did not fully comprehend the
meaning of the story until I re-read it as an adult, but that does not
mean that reading it as an oblivious kid was a wasted effort. I gave it a
developmentally-appropriate reading at that time and didn't worry too much
about what meanings were lost on me.

I think the question of what is "appropriate" for naturally curious
adolescents is pretty tricky.

I was probably more damaged at that age by my secret, behind-closed-doors
reading of Sidney Sheldon's THE OTHER SIDE OF MIDNIGHT than I might have
been slogging through James' thick prose.

Come to think of it, now *there's* a book-to-film combo worthy of
re-consideration! Yow!

Meryem Ersoz
University of Colorado-Denver

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite