SCREEN-L Archives

February 1999, Week 3

From:
Peter Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 18:44:14 -0500
Re your query on records in films, the current British release LITTLE VOICE
features a young woman (Jane Horrocks, who also played the role on stage)
who can only communicate through copying the singers (Judy Garland, Barbra
Streisand, Shirley Bassey, etc) from her dead father's LP record
collection. Also, the current LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL features a record of the
Baccarolle from The Tales of Hoffman being played over the loudspeaker in a
Nazi concentration camp.  There are numerous biographical movies of singing
and instrumental performers making it big via records, such as THE COAL
MINER'S DAUGHTER (Michael Apted 1980), LADY SINGS THE BLUES (Sydney J.Furie
1972), THE GLEN MILLER STORY (Anthony Mann 1954), THE BUDDY HOLLY STORY
(Steve Rash 1978) and some of the early rock and roll movies. Also, theme
songs/love songs were often featured by one of the characters playing a
record. One of my favourites is Joseph Cotten and Joan Fontaine listening
to a record of Walter Huston singing September Song (wonderful!) in a movie
called  SEPTEMBER AFFAIR (William Dieterle 1950).