SCREEN-L Archives

October 1992

Sender:
From:
"(Russell A. Potter)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1992 18:02:06 -0400
An additional note on THE SORCERESS: I saw the film at the Avon in Providence
RI in 1988; the director, Pam Berger, gave a 1/2 hour talk before the
screening.  It was the first film she ever made; she'd worked on medieval
witchcraft as a scholar and had the urge to make a film.  So she called
up the NEH and they gave her a list of directors she could contact.
One of these was a woman (whose name I've forgotten) who was a well-known
director in France, and had worked with Godard.  So Ms. Berger called her
_on the phone_, and (amazingly enough) the director agreed to look at her
script.  Many re-writes later, they took some NEH grant money and
started filming in France.

A story which has often made me wonder about how it is that something
like this can happen while dozens of my friends, film-school graduates
and talented folks all, are trying to scrounge enough money to make
a five-minute short ...  But in any event, THE SORCERESS is an excellent
film, and is based very carefully on original historical documentation.
The dialogue was filmed in French _and_ English, and as I recall
it is available as a VHS video in either form.  Pam Blake is a profesor
somewhere in the Boston area -- (Boston College?  My memory may be
faulty), and could I'm sure supply info. on how to obtain a copy.

--Russell Potter
--English, Colby College