SCREEN-L Archives

September 1992


Options: Use Proportional Font
Show Text Part by Default
Condense Mail Headers

Message: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Author: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Film and TV Studies Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
"(David A. Roth)" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 18 Sep 1992 11:56:07 EST
"(David A. Roth)" <[log in to unmask]>
text/plain (36 lines)
In Regards to your letter <[log in to unmask]>:
> Another question/comment about colorization:
> I always thought that copyright had a lot to do with Turner's
> decision to colorize films.  He owns this huge film library,
> and the copyright is about to expire for many of the older ones,
> so copyrighting the colorized version (or, maybe too, the
> "restored" version) is one way to maintain control.  Is
> this not correct?
> Matt McAllister
> Virginia Tech
I know that for copyright of musicial works you can get another copyright
for an adapted or changed version.  A remix of an existing song can
obtain another copyright for that remixed version.  At least, that's
my understanding of it.  However, you can't do any of this without
the permission of the one who admins the copyright.  He had to have
copyright control over the original works in order to have colorized
versions created.
Come to think of it the same Form SR to copyright recorded works I've
used for music is also used by filmmakers.
        David A. Roth Music                 [log in to unmask]
        Post Office Box 1082                    From CompuServ:
        Westerville, Ohio 43081-1082        send >internet:[log in to unmask]
        Telephone: (614) 890-7684 ( 24-Hour Voice/Fax )