SCREEN-L Archives

November 2018, Week 2

From:
Paul Booth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2018 05:05:52 -0600
Call for Discussion Topics and Panel Proposals:
A Celebration of Disney
DePaul Pop Culture Conference
DePaul University – Loop
May 04, 2019

Now accepting submissions and ideas for the seventh annual Pop Culture Colloquium at DePaul University in Chicago! DePaul University’s College of Communication is hosting a one-day colloquium in honor of the 30th anniversary of The Little Mermaid and the 50th anniversary of The Haunted Mansion ride on Saturday, May 04, 2019, from 9am-6pm. More details can be found at popcultureconference.com. We are accepting papers and topics around any aspect of Disney, including critical studies. Topics can include any aspect of the Disney Corporation, its texts, or its fandom.

This event will feature roundtable discussions from scholars and fans of Disney, concentrating mainly on Disney animation, Disney live-action, and Disney theme parks. Participants may propose panels and papers about a broad array of ideas related to Disney and its cultural impact. The Pop Culture Conference does not feature formal paper presentations, but speakers are invited to have roundtable discussions themed around these topics. The audience for this event is both graduate and undergraduate students, both fans and scholars. You may propose multiple papers and panels.

There are three types of submissions:
(1)	Individual topic submissions. Please submit a 200-300 word abstract about a topic related to Disney. If accepted, you will be placed on a panel with other papers of a similar topic. You will not present a full paper, but rather will present your topic in 5-7 minutes and then engage in a roundtable.
(2)	Full panel submissions. Please submit a 200-300 word abstract for a full panel at the conference. The full panel should include the names, contact info, and speaking topics of at least four people.
(3)	Participation/Workshop panels. Please submit a 200-300 word abstract for an interactive panel with the audience. Previous workshops have included: crafting, cooking, debates, fantasy casting; etc. Depending on the topics, we may place additional people in the workshop.

If you’re interested in speaking on a roundtable, or want to propose a panel, or have ideas for other events/lectures, please email your abstracts and a CV/resume to Pop Culture Conference ([log in to unmask]) by Jan 15, 2019. Please aim your abstracts for a more general audience and for a discussion rather than traditional scholarly paper presentation. We will also have the opportunity to publish a longer version of your talk in an update to our Time Lords and Tribbles book series.

For more information, please check out popcultureconference.com, and sign up for updates on Facebook (search “A Celebration of Disney”). We hope that you will be able to join in the discussion and celebration!

A Celebration of Disney
#DePaulDisney

(DePaul University, May 04, 2019)