SCREEN-L Archives

August 2001, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Travis Frick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 19:53:12 EDT
I went to graduate film school and edit news for a local ABC affiliate.
Applying to film school and getting a job in TV are two different directions.
Both require a little bit of research.

I suggest if you want a job in TV, find a person who is currently doing that
job, call him/her and ask for a few minutes of their time. Try to get an idea
of what kind of experience you will need to get hired. You can find a website
with all US cities ranked in market size. For TV news, it is easier to start
in a small market, i.e. a small town.

I also recommend the same approach for applying to graduate film schools,
especially since there's a different teaching philosophy at USC than, say,
NYU. It isn't hard to find people that went to film school who can offer you
some advice.

Going to film school may not help you getting a job in TV, since most
employers require professional experience. You can e-mail me directly if you
have any questions about USC film school or tv news. Travis