SCREEN-L Archives

April 2007, Week 2

Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 11:42:44 -0500
We just wanted to let you know that the new issue of Flow: A Critical Forum on
Television and Media Culture is out, with a new look!  We recently upgraded our
publishing and web design software, and now have a design that is much more
"Web 2.0".  If you're looking for archived articles on the new site and can't
find them, don't worry!  We're working backwards to re-publish all older
articles and comments to our new platform; everything should be there very
soon.  If you have any questions or have feedback regarding the transition
please contact Matt Payne ([log in to unmask]).

This issue features articles from Tim Gibson, Mark Andrejevic, Drew Morton,
Sarita Malik, Eric Freedman, and Kim Akass and Janet McCabe.

Despite the changes, Flow's URL has remained the same.  Please visit the journal
at http://www.flowtv.org to read these columns and contribute responses to them.

This issue's columns in brief:

"Everybody Hates Chris and the (Overdue) Return of the Working-Class Sitcom" by
Tim Gibson:
On Everybody Hates Chris, class issues are largely explored in Chris’s home
life, while the show’s writers use Chris’s travails at Corleone to foreground
questions of race.

"Watching TV Without Pity" by Mark Andrejevic:
Rip-on-your-favorite-show sites elevate the attempt to make bad TV more
entertaining to a popular art form. In the Television Without Pity world, the
show is no longer the final product, but rather the raw material to which value
is added.

"Comics to Film (And Halfway Back Again): A DVD Essay" by Drew Morton:
By constructing visual essays, cinema and media studies scholars dip their hands
into processes they think and write so much about.

"When the Whole World is Watching: The Case of Celebrity Big Brother" by Sarita
Malik:
Now that we can begin to look back at Celebrity Big Brother in less impulsive,
more diagnostic ways, the major upshot – aside from a surefire boost to Shilpa
Shetty’s international career following her win – should be the critical
attention paid to Channel 4’s role.

"To Watch a Predator" by Eric Freedman:
Do the suspects of Dateline: To Catch a Predator have any right to privacy, or
can they be freely featured as part of the flow of network television?

"Bigoted Brother, Forgotten Sister" by Kim Akass and Janet McCabe:
Sanctifying sexism as long as your target is a racist - this article explores
the sexist discourse surrounding media coverage of the recent “race row” on the
UK show Celebrity Big Brother and the controversial figure of Jade Goody.

We look forward to your visit and encourage your comments.

Best wishes,

Flow Editorial Staff

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org