SCREEN-L Archives

August 2020, Week 5

Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 2020 15:29:17 -0400
Sender:
From:
Camille Wright <[log in to unmask]>
I hope you and yours are well during this uncertain time.

Daisuke Miyao's *Japonisme and the Birth of Cinema
<https://www.dukeupress.edu/japonisme-and-the-birth-of-cinema>* is
now available from Duke University Press. Miyao reveals the undetected
influence that Japanese art and aesthetics had on early cinema and the
pioneering films of the LumiƩre brothers.

Daisuke Miyao is Professor and Hajime Mori Chair in Japanese Language and
Literature at the University of California, San Diego. He is the author of *The
Aesthetics of Shadow: Lighting* *and Japanese Cinema *and *Sessue Hayakawa:
Silent Cinema and Transnational Stardom*, both also published by Duke
University Press, and *Cinema Is a Cat: A Cat Lover's Introduction to Film
Studies*.

Unfortunately, due to COVID-19 we are no longer able to
send unsolicited print copies of books. Please confirm your
current/temporary shipping address in order for us to ship a copy to you.
Print copies should be available in the next few weeks.

Please respond as soon as possible with new delivery instructions. If
preferred, I have attached a PDF of the book to this email. We are also
happy to follow up later with a print copy sent directly to their chosen
reviewer. Just let us know!

Sincerely,
Camille

--
*Camille Wright *| Publicity Assistant

Duke University Press

905 W. Main Street 18-B, Durham, NC 27701

tel 1.919.687.3656

dukeupress.edu | Twitter: @DUKEpress <https://twitter.com/dukepress>

she/her/hers

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://screenlex.org