SCREEN-L Archives

September 1994

Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 1994 11:58:12 EDT
On Mon, 19 Sep 1994 16:56:39 GMT Bert Deivert said:

About quoting from Internet:

>I have given
>them guidelines about what I want: notify and be approved by the person you
>quote - via e-mail, if possible. Give date, usenet or discussion group,
>subject, and INTERNET as source.
>
>I consider it a valid source. I do demand that students make
>hard copies of the material for their opponents to verify when they present
>the paper.

I suspect that Bert is being too cautious unless Swedish copyright law
differs seriously from United States copyright statutes which include
specific exemption from permission requirement for material quoted
under "fair use" provisions.  As generally understood it is fair use
to reproduce brief passages from copyrighted material necessary to make
an argument.

In emerging practice on Internet, posting to discussion
groups is tantamount to "publication," which would be covered by the
fair use provisions.  Somewhat more controversial on Internet is the
practice of forwarding from one list to another without the original
poster's permission.  This, however, does not seem to be the case
when a short exerpt from a post is used to make an argument.  Consider
the status of the short quote above from Bert's original query.  I do
not have, nor do I consider necessary, Bert's permission to reprint
a passage.

The requirement for a hard copy seems simple prudence, both as sound
research practice and defense.

Cal Pryluck, Radio-Television-Film, Temple University, Philadelphia
<[log in to unmask]>  <[log in to unmask]>