SCREEN-L Archives

February 2007, Week 1

Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2007 19:20:45 EST
Yes, the status of many films changed with the US government's adoption of
the GATT/Uruguay treaty which stated that foreign film made after Jan. 1, 1923
that were previously in public domain would enter into copyright again. Many
films were re-registered with the Library of Congress (Milestone did this for
the owners of WOMAN IN THE DUNES, THE ADVENTURES OF PRINCE ACHMED and PICCADILLY
among others) and you can download the lists at
http://www.copyright.gov/gatt.html

I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure Un chien Andalou one was one of
them. And even if it wasn't, there are still restrictions.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video / Milliarium Zero
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Fax: (201) 767-3035
[log in to unmask]                [log in to unmask]
www.milestonefilms.com        www.wintersoldierfilm.com

http://www.ScreenSite.org