SCREEN-L Archives

December 1995, Week 3

From:
Hubbard31 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hubbard31 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 00:24:50 -0500
Exploring your question about snuff films, assuming they are a myth, why
say that film makers are responsible for perpetuating or exploiting the
myth?

While some (very few I'm sure) filmmakers might be that exploitive, it
seems to me much more of the myth fomentation would come from consumers.

I started to say that the consumers would be say, consumers of porn, but I
don't consume porn, and I've certainly heard of snuff films, and I'm sure
I've introduced the concept to a least a couple of people. (In a
discussion of "Hardcore" for example)

In anycase, while I think your question is a good one, I wouldn't ascribe
attribution of snuff film myth to filmmakers any more than I would to
bakers.

(though there are erotic bakers)