SCREEN-L Archives

November 2006, Week 1

From:
Aboubakar Sanogo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2006 11:28:59 -0800
I would be very grateful for the posting of thi
Dear listserv manager,

I would be very grateful for the posting of this message to listserv members.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Aboubakar. S. Sanogo

            CALL FOR ENTRIES TO THE GUILDE’S WEEK

The Guilde of African Film Directors and Producers is accepting submissions of films for its upcoming Guilde’s Week, which will take place during the biennial Pan African Film and Television Festival of Ouagadougou (FESPACO) from February 24 to March 3, 2007 in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.

Initiated in 2005, the Guilde’s Week is complementary to the official selection of FESPACO. It seeks to highlight and emphasize new orientations and approaches to cinema in Africa. As a new feature on the map of cinema in Africa, the Guilde’s Week will encourage new ways of looking at the African continent through film, new ways of looking at film on the African continent. The Guilde has designated Aboubakar Sanogo as Delegate General of the Guilde’s Week.

For its 2007 selection, the Guilde’s Week is seeking films in the following categories:

a)      Exploration-Innovation. This category will foreground the Guilde’s Week’s commitment to spearheading and institutionalizing thematic and formal exploration in cinema.  We are calling for films avant-garde films, films that push the envelope, advance the discourse, the iconography and sonography of how Africa is represented on film.

b)      Dissidence.  We see this as the ideological credo of the Guilde’s Week. We seek to encourage a cinema of attitude, both political and aesthetic, the cinematic/audiovisual translation of the duty to dissent.  We are calling for films that express defiance and rebelliousness vis-à-vis the current state and image of Africa, films that best express the notion, feeling and act of dis-agreement with and opposition to the status quo.

c)      Women in Cinema. We believe that women must be adequately represented in our approach to the cinema. We are looking for films that expand, enrich and complexify our understanding and relationship to questions of women, womanhood, femininity or feminism.  We seek films that address these questions in an original, urgent, compelling and daring manner.

d)      The Popular. In this category we seek to engage with the popular. We think that for cinema to be self-sustaining in Africa, it must engage with the popular, it must have a resolutely popular dimension. We are looking for films that best explore this notion of the popular and/or have had some form of popular reception. Films from newer (Nollywood for example) and older (Egypt for instance) popular cinematic traditions on the continent are encouraged.

e)      Rosebud. In this category, we seek to encourage works by new and young filmmakers who are still in/ or have recently graduated from film schools. The section will showcase their best films. It will also serve as a clearing house for reading scripts, providing funding information, etc.

f)        Africa From Without. We are looking for films made by non-African filmmakers about Africa. The films must shed new light and increase our knowledge and understanding of the complexities of the continent. They may also be films that have had significant media and public resonance and played a role in the perception of Africa.

The films may be shorts or features, fiction or documentary, but must be sent in the DVD format.

To be considered for the 2007 Guilde’s Week, please send your submissions by December 15, 2006 to the following address:

Aboubakar Sanogo
Delegate General
20 Rue Alphand,
75013 Paris