SCREEN-L Archives

September 2016, Week 4

From:
TWN Distribution <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 2016 14:24:58 -0400
*Third World Newsreel is pleased to announce the educational release
of INVISIBLE ROOTS: AFRO-MEXICANS IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA.*

ORDER ONLINE AT TWN.ORG
<http://twn.org/catalog/pages/cpage.aspx?rec=1446&card=price>
WATCH TRAILER <https://vimeo.com/182752600>

*"Whether through film, social media or the theatre, Afromexican stories
need to be told. There are still people out there who question the
existence of Black Latin@s... The INVISIBLE ROOTSteam is doing the work to
make sure that history is at the forefront."*
Black Girl, Latin World Blog

*INVISIBLE ROOTS: AFRO-MEXICANS IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA*
*Co-Directed by Tiffany Walton & Lizz Mullis, 2015, 21 minutes*

More than one million Mexicans are of African descent, yet this heritage is
often forgotten, denied, and many times stigmatized, both in Mexico and in
Chicanx communities in the United States. INVISIBLE ROOTS is an intimate
look at Afro-Mexicans living in Southern California as they discuss complex
issues of racial, national and cultural identities.

The Herrera family in Pasadena proudly performs the famous "La Danza de los
Diablos", or "The Dance of the Devils." One of the performers explains the
origins of the dance: "We have been told by our ancestors that the dance
came from Africa, but when they were enslaved and brought over here, the
dance became a way to make fun of the overseer." Meanwhile, the Cisneros
family makes sure to keep alive the spiritual traditions and culinary
secrets that they brought from Costa Chica, Mexico. Lastly, college student
Yismar is embracing his newfound identity, and explains that "being proud
of being Black has boosted my self-esteem, but before when I didn't know
that, I was just Mexican. That didn't boost my self-esteem because people
would always make fun of me."

INVISIBLE ROOTS, the first documentary about Afro-Mexicans in Southern
California, features interviews with historians Alva Moore Stevenson and
Daniel Cendejaz Mendez; and music by Kemo the Blaxican.

PAST SCREENINGS
University of Southern California
Pierce College
Leimert Park Art Walk, Afro-Latino Focus
Pan African Film Festival
LA Plaza Presents
Espacio 1839
Santa Monica City College